Saturday, November 17, 2007

Share the Wealth

When I was leaving one of my previous jobs, I was working with a younger developer who was going to take over some of my responsibilities. While I had been working there I had written documents describing procedures and processes that I had put in place for myself. I had been keeping these documents (as well as some code for personal regression tests) in a source code repository using CVS. The repository was on the laptop machine with the working copy on the desktop machine. I used CVS because the company source code system (ClearCase) wasn't set up to allow personal archives. I also prefer not to use ClearCase when possible, but I'll save that rant for another post.

The day I left I cleaned out the CVS directories in my local copy of the directory tree, zipped it up and emailed that zip file to him. I didn't want to give him the CVS repository itself because I didn't want to confuse him any more than necessary.

I also changed the password on my email (Lotus Notes) and made sure that all my emails had been put into my local email database. I then gave him a copy of that database along with the password and made sure that he could open that local database on his machine. He looked at me, slightly puzzled, and asked if there weren't emails that I didn't want him to see. I told him that I knew from the day I started that these emails were really property of the company and they didn't belong to me. I never, therefore, used it for any personal purposes or sent any emails that I wouldn't want "read out loud in the town square" (to quote my brother-in-law).

I don't know if he ever actually looked at any of this, or whether he considered it wealth or dross. I did, however, feel better leaving the information with him, rather than letting it be wiped when my work machines were returned to the company pool.

No comments: