Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cell Phones Are Still a Compromise

I have a cellphone but it's off most of the time. I've given out the number to very few people, and they know that I keep the phone off most of the time. Since I don't have call blocking enabled (that I know of!) anyone I call can grab my number. Since I don't, however, call that many people, I don't worry about who they are.

A number of months ago I interviewed at Google. I didn't get the job (sigh) but that's bits into the bucket. One of the pieces of information that came across in one of the emails (from their recruiter) was that they preferred that their interviewees NOT use cell phones during the phone screens.

This intrigued me. I'm not sure whether this is because cell phone networks in some countries aren't up to snuff or for some other reason(s). I do know from my own personal experience that about half the cell phone calls I make have dropouts or clarity problems, even in "civilized" places like the San Francisco Bay Area. Which actually is the primary reason I don't turn my cell phone on unless absolutely necessary.

No comments: