Friday, May 2, 2008

The Third Commandment of Blogger

Don't use Blockquote!


I'm still struggling to figure out what Blogger is doing to my formatting. I'm
not sure if it's this particular template, or something deeper down in Windows, or perhaps some backwards compatibility issue.
I say "deeper down in Windows" because I see the same effect in both Internet
Explorer and Firefox on my Windows XP machine. I don't (currently) have any Linux desktop machines to test this.

First, every time I try to use blockquote both browsers show succeeding paragraphs with a tighter line-spacing than the previous paragraph. This happens with the default font; I haven't tried other fonts because no one it paying me to test this stuff. This paragraph is an example of this effect. Secondly (because of its definition), blockquote takes line endings literally, making for some very strange line breaks as shown above. I like indention to set off text, but not when it comes with this side-effect.


For commandments One and Two, see my previous post. That post shows the same incorrect line-spacing in the numbered list. Also note the extra line-space above this paragraph, which seems be be caused by saving and then re-editing the post. Well, at least I'm not paying anything for these bugs.

No comments: