Friday, July 4, 2008

Cassandra, Take a Bow

I've always considered myself a realist. Some may call me a pessimist, but many of my predictions have turned out correctly. I don't like being seen as negative, so I do try to lighten up a bit. This led to an amusing incident at my current job.

After telling my boss a number of times that I thought an expectation was too optimistic, I decided to tell him the legend of Cassandra (because I was starting to feel like the prophet-not-listened-to). After I told him the story, I told him (jokingly) that I considered myself the Cassandra of my group.

A couple of days later, my business phone rang. I get very few calls on that line, since my group tends to use GTalk if possible. I therefore get a higher percentage than usual of wrong numbers. I was in the middle of debugging something, so I was focused on that task rather than the phone call. I picked up the phone and someone said, "Is Cassandra there?"

I almost hung up, but decided to be polite and ask the person what number they dialed (expecting that it was a wrong number).

It was my boss. Given my past history with him, I should be careful what I ask for, because he does have a keen sense of humor.

No comments: