Monday, April 6, 2009

Going Paperless: Day 4

I have a habit of jotting notes to myself. These notes are usually list of items (sometimes related items, sometimes not) that are just reminders. Each item is usually only a few words, but just enough to put me on the path to the full idea.

The second part of this "paperless" test was to determine if I could use the laptop for that purpose. Most of the notes that I jot to myself end up in electronic form anyway (usually expanded with more context). Wouldn't it be good to avoid that intermediate step?

I don't think this is going to work. It's like the time you realize (when trying to write a networked application) that bandwidth is not enough, you also need low latency. Laptops (and TVs and cellphones) are getting slower to "boot up," not faster.

I don't consider this test a failure. Learning something always counts, so I don't consider the experiment a waste of time. Perhaps if I ever find a cellphone I like and can afford, that will replace pen-and-paper.

No comments: